Oriental rugs are typically very durable and stay looking good for several decades. However, this does not mean that you can just leave your rug without care and maintenance. A rug that is not maintained will begin to look worn and will lose its original beauty. Fortunately, all it takes is a little extra attention and care to extend the life of your Oriental rug.
These are some of the most common rug issues that Oriental rug owners encounter, and how you can solve them:
• Pet damage: Cats love fringes and anything that dangles. If you have an Oriental rug that you use as a decorative wall hanging, make sure your cat cannot reach the fringe. Cats may also view your oriental rug as a perfect place to sharpen his or her claws, pulling out the rug loops in the process, and therefore your rug may need to be repaired.
• Shedding: This is more common in newer rugs and is not really a problem. The fibers that shed are just the excess wool bits that are cut off during the rug making process. The shedding will eventually stop. Meanwhile, you can run a vacuum lightly over the rug to pick up those loose wool bits.
• Fading Color: While a little fading is expected over several years, leaving your Oriental rug exposed to the sun will cause it to fade far too soon. Keeping it away from the sunlight will resolve this problem.
• Stains & Soiling: Spilled liquids, dropped foods, and mud tracked in with shoes can all stain and soil your rug. While this is inevitable, you can stem the damage and prevent permanent staining by cleaning up spills as quickly as possible.
• Insect Damage: A rug that is not cleaned out regularly can become a breeding ground for moths, dust mites and other critters including carpet beetles. Regular dusting and cleaning is the only way to prevent this from happening.
How to Extend the Life of Your Oriental Rugs
To extend the life of your oriental rug, be sure to vacuum your rug regularly. Regular vacuuming will remove all the dirt and debris that tends to settle at the bottom of the pile and damage the fibers of the rug. When vacuuming your rug, always put it on a light setting so it lifts the dirt without pulling at the fibers and damaging them.
If something gets spilled on your rug, be sure to treat it right away. Take a clean damp cloth and press lightly over the spill. Rinse the cloth and repeat till the area looks completely stain-free.
Always use a rug pad under your rugs and be sure to rotate your rug regularly. We also suggest that you get your rug professionally cleaned every 3-5 years. Professional cleaners, such as J & J Rugs, use special tools and techniques to clean and repair Oriental rugs so they look as good as new.
It doesn’t take much to maintain an Oriental rug, be sure to make it a priority so your Oriental rug will stay looking brand new for years to come.
Want to keep your Oriental Rug looking its best?
Please call our office at 703-548-0000 if you have any questions about the proper care of rugs or to schedule a cleaning. At J & J Oriental Rug Gallery, we are experts at cleaning, repair, and restoration of rugs to maintain their beauty and value. We hand wash any type of rug, from a rare antique Oriental to a modern product. Whether it’s a rug of silk, wool, or other fibers, care is taken to ensure the colors do not run but remain bright and clean. J & J’s Rug Cleaning’s technicians will deliver the professional results you can trust. Click here for more details.