Large Oriental rugs look absolutely magnificent. With their skillfully handmade knots, beautiful color combinations and unique patterns and designs, each piece can rightfully be considered as a work of art.
So, how can you choose the right rug for your home? When buying a large Oriental rug, you must make sure that it blends well with the patterns and colors of your home and fits just right into the space. Here are a few factors you must keep in mind when buying a large rug:
The material of the rug
If you are placing it in an area where there is a lot of foot traffic, it is advisable to choose one made of wool or cotton, as these are more durable. Silk is a more delicate fiber and rugs made of silk can get easily damaged. Choose a large silk rug only if you are planning on placing it in an area that does not get too much foot traffic.
The Right Size Rug for Your Space
The size of the rug will depend on these factors:
- The look you wish to achieve
- The dimensions of the room
- The style and purpose of space/room
- The furniture you will place in the room
Please read our previous post for more details on choosing the best size rug for a room.
Taking Care Of Your Large Oriental Rug
Proper maintenance is crucial in order to extend the life of your large rug. Without regular cleaning and care, dirt and debris can build up and damage the fibers of the rug prematurely.
Some things you should do to care for your rug:
- Read the care instructions on the label carefully
- Vacuum it regularly so that you get rid of dirt and dust
- Rotate the rug 180 degrees at least once a year, especially if you have any furniture sitting on the rug
- Spot clean the rug immediately after any food or liquid spills
With proper care, a good, high quality Oriental rug will last a long time and is sure to be the center of attraction anywhere you place it. When you’re ready to start shopping and exploring oriental rugs, be sure to spend some time at J & J Oriental Rugs in Alexandria, VA! Remember, the right way to dress your floor is just a call away: 703-548-0000.